Digital technology may have the greatest direct influence on enhancing food safety and traceability. While this is already happening, in comparison to other industries, the food industry has been rather sluggish in adopting digital technologies. Furthermore, the impact of emerging digital technologies appears to be underexplored, with both the food business and regulatory authorities lagging behind.
Benefits of digital technologies on food safety
Examples of digital technologies that can potentially be employed for food safety management are Blockchain, IoT, Omnichannel, AI, etc. Ongoing research shows evidence of how emerging digital technologies are already improving food safety management in the following ways:
- Improved Data Collection and Analysis: Digital technologies allow for the collection of an unprecedented amount of data that can yield unparalleled insight applicable to food safety.
- Risk Mitigation: Enhanced understanding of factors contributing to the occurrence of food hazards, allowing more effective risk mitigation interventions that focus on preventive measures rather than on acting on the already occurred damage.
- Food Quality and Safety Monitoring: Digital technologies (track systems, sensors, etc) can be used to monitor food quality and safety, reducing the risk of food safety issues. This also includes lowering the risk of food fraud, and traceability mistakes.
- Improved Public Services: Digital technologies can improve the way consumers can be informed and engaged, improving their trust and experience.
New project: Investigating the impact of emerging technologies on food safety
QAssurance is a food safety compliance company that provides its customers in the food industry with innovative tools that involve the use of digital technology.
iMIS Food platform supports small and medium enterprises to manage Food Safety themselves, providing information and updates on the knowledge, content, infrastructure, systems, and real-time updates for food safety. To know more about how iMIS Food works, visit this introduction page.
As pioneers of introducing digital solutions in the food safety management field, QAssurance is interested in knowing how the implementation of digital technologies will unravel, and what actual potential impact (positive and negative) they will have on the food industry and food safety.
To gain relevant insights, a survey was developed to ask the stakeholders of the food industry (especially quality and safety managers) what their knowledge and perception of digital technologies are. To contribute to the ongoing research about the impact of digital technologies on food safety, proceed with the survey below. Keep in mind that you will be fully anonymous and that it will take only a few minutes.
To the survey:
- Food Standards Agency. (2019). Emerging technologies that will impact the UK Food System
- Food Safety News (2021, December 16). 7 critical ways that technology can boost food safety and reduce risks | Food Safety News . Food Safety News. https://www.foodsafetynews.com/2021/12/7-critical-ways-that-technology-can-boost-food-safety-and-reduce-risks/
Related articles to Digital Tools for Food Safety
Many customers and visitors to this page 'Digital Tools for Food Safety' also viewed the articles and manuals listed below: